Spooky Halloween Brownies
Spooky Halloween Brownies
Ingredients for Halloween Brownies:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, cold
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Ingredients for Spooky Ghosts:
- jumbo marshmallows (to decorate)
- white chocolate (to coat the marshmallows)
- candy eyeballs or edible black markers or dark chocolate chips
How to make Halloween Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 160C, then line a 20 cm squared pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch and baking soda. Next, add in salt and vanilla powder and stir well to combine.
- In a heatproof bowl, combine butter together with the sugar. Place over a pan of barely simmering water (a bain-marie) and allow the butter and sugar to melt, stirring occasionally. Once the sugar has completely melted, remove and stir well. Set aside to allow the butter to cool down a bit before adding in the cocoa.
- Combine the cocoa powder with the mixture of melted butter and sugar and stir well until the cocoa is fully incorporated.
- When the butter mixture is cold enough (it can be warm, but not hot), using a hand mixer on low speed, add one egg at a time mixing just until incorporated.
- The same way, gradually add in the dry ingredients from step 2. Mix the batter well until no flour pockets remain and then stop mixing.
- If you want to use some chocolate chips or chopped nuts, this would be the perfect time to add them to your batter.
- Spread the batter evenly into the lined pan and place into the hot oven for 20-30 minutes (depending on the oven) or just until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the brownie comes out completely clean.
- When ready, remove and allow them to cool down completely before cutting or frosting.
How to make Spooky Ghosts:
- Firstly, cut the brownies into even squares and place them on the cooling rack. Place some parchment paper underneath your cooling rack
- Secondly, melt the white chocolate over a pan with simmering water, stirring occasionally (or melt it in a microwave, if preferred). Then, stir well to melt completely. Set aside to cool down a bit before pouring over the marshmallows.
- Meanwhile, place a marshmallow on top of each brownie.
- Pour the white chocolate over the marshmallows. Then set aside to harden.
- Lastly, create the eyes and mouth of the ghosts by drawing them with an edible black marker. If you prefer using dark chocolate chips or candy eyeballs, apply onto the marshmallows before white chocolate completely hardens. Enjoy!