Stir-Fried Spicy Cashew Chicken - Thai-Style
Ever since visiting Thailand, we dreamed about the delicious Thai-Style Cashew Chicken. So spicy, good looking and savory, a really feast of tastes and a bit of crunchiness, overall a well balanced dish that everyone is going to love it. Finally, last week we got to try it and the result was pretty good. Here is our recipe for 2 servings:
Ingredients for the Cashew Chicken sauce:
3 tbsp sweet soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
a bit or salt and pepper
2 small chili cut into small pieces
2 red peppers, thinly slice
1 small onion, thinly slice
1 spring onion, diagonally sliced
100 g of cashew
300 g chicken cut into bite size
some neutral vegetable oil (we used sunflower)
1 tbsp of flour
lime and cilantro (optional)
How to make the Thai Cashew Chicken :
- Wash and pat dry the chicken. Cut all the ingredients (chicken, pepper, chili, onion) and have them ready to be cooked.
- Mix the ingredients for sauce and blend them together in a small bowl.
- Coat well the chicken pieces with flour.
- First, add cashews to some hot oil and cook for about a minute until they are golden brown. The cashews give a crunch taste to this dish and it also helps the infuse the oil with an extra flavor. Remove and place on a plate lined with some kitchen paper to drain the excess oil. Set aside.
- To the hot pan, add the chilies and fry for 1 minute. Remove them and place them on the same plate with the cashews. Set aside.
- In the same oil used for frying the cashews and chilies, add the flour-coated chicken. Fry until golden brown and cooked (aprox. 5 minutes). Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In a different pan (you can also use the first one, but remove the oil) and put a bit of oil. Heat it at medium temperature and fry the onion until getting a nice translucent look.
- Add the red pepper to the onion and stir fry for about a minute more. Add the sauce and keep stirring to the pot, until the sauce thickens and is getting sticky.
- Add the chicken, cashew and chili and keep stirring for another 30 seconds.
- Finally, add a bit of lime juice and the spring onion, mix it with the rest of ingredients for a few seconds and take the pan off the stove. Sprinkle with some cilantro on top and Enjoy!
It can be served with the rice of your choice.